Saturday, October 16, 2010

Happy 10th Birthday, Sweet Miles

My baby turned 1o years old today.

I don't know what's gotten into me, but I've been looking forward to his birthday for weeks, and planning what to make him and wondering if he will freak out if I put a party hat on him. Maybe it's because he's the first horse (or animal for that matter) I've owned, whose official birthday I know for sure. Today we had a little hack around the farm, and he received more treatings and pettings than were necessary and appropriate, I'm sure. Anyway, behold my craziness...and feel sorry for my horse (but not too sorry).



Miles Super Special Pony Cookies. Admittedly, they look more like burger patties than cookies, but Miles LOVED them, and at least one other horse at the barn did too. I found the recipe randomly online and made a couple improvisations. If you're interested, here it is:

2 cups EACH grated carrots, grated apples, oats
1 cup flour

4 Tablespoons vegetable oil

1/2 cup molasses

2 teaspoons salt

1 Tablespoon brown sugar *I used a little less

In a large bowl, mix carrots, apples, oil and molasses. Then fold in salt, brown sugar, oats and flour
Make sure cookie sheet is non stick, or spray it b/c these will stick otherwise. Make little balls and squish into cookie size you want. Bake at 350 for...I dunno, I think I baked them for about 10 minutes, flipped them, and baked for another 5 or 10 minutes. Just keep an eye on them and you should be fine.



NOM NOM NOM! Miles digs weird hamburger patty horse treaty!

Also, because I was feeling all homemaker-ish, I made brownies. The old fashioned, Betty Crocker way.



I have to say, they were delish. Also, sprinkles!

Before we get into Miles humiliation, behold his BeefCaky-ness!



Not a rib in sight! I will take it.



Totally random picture...I just thought it was super cute how his mouth is just barely open. He does often seem like he wants to say something so bad!



Oh God....




Do you see what she's done? She was serious about the hat.



Now she's parading me around the farm so everyone can laugh at me. Why Why Why....



Still, I AM kinda cute. Wait, what am I saying?



Screw this. Off to eat weird cookie patties sent from heaven.



This food coma brought to you by pony cookies, beet pulp and 2nd cutting hay. Not a bad day, all in all.

9 comments:

  1. Horses are very forgiving - even of silly hats! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Miles!!! Best wishes for many more! Your Canadian friend, Gem, will be celebrating his 10th birthday tomorrow. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Miles! You look adorable in your party hat! And very beef-cakey, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday Miles! (her looks fantastic, BTW!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Miles! And Wayne thought those cookies were pretty cool too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And it is fun when you know their actual birthdays. I know Wayne and Cody's birthdays, since they both have papers. But I don't know Lady's birthday, just that she was supposedly born the same year as Cody (and Doug LaRose said that's probably pretty close to correct from looking at her teeth), so I figure Cody can share her birthday! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, Happy 10th Birthday to Miles! I love that picture of him biting onto that cookie. Hope you had an awesome weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hoorah! Happy 10th bday sweet Miles! He's looks great too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! Happy Birthday! He looks gorgeous :) and not nearly as embarrassed as maybe he should be. What a good horse mom for making special treats!!

    ReplyDelete