Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Pony Moovies

In light of the fact that I have nothing of note to write about in the Miles department (he is lovely, as always, but what rides we're getting in are short and/or unremarkable-still he has kept me sane. I love him more than ever for just being the sweetheart that he is for me when I need to just *be* with him sometimes.), I thought, what better thing to write about on these rainy days than our favorite horse movies? Oh, I have so many...most are cheesy and horrible movies by cinematic standards, but they all make me smile. Below is a sampling of my best of.

Horse movie that's kinda mainstream and I will always watch when it's on TNT or USA or whatever...Something To Talk About, starring Julia Roberts, Robert Duvall (who appears to do his own riding, including jumping!) and Dennis Quaid. It's mostly about a couple working through infidelity in their marriage, but I will admit I'll watch Julia in just about anything, and when the backdrop is a big-time jumper barn in the South? I'm so there. A close second is Far And Away, for the last 45 minutes of the race for Oklahoma Territory...lots of amazing footage of people riding and driving fast horses. I'm going to throw Tombstone in there because it's my favorite modern Western, and also, young Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday. Yes indeedy.

Best racing movies...Seabiscuit and Secretariat. No explanation needed-both critically acclaimed and cutting-edge in their depictions of horse racing. Also probably the best overall movies of the bunch here. Except for...

The Black Stallion is in a class by itself. Its cinematic qualities are unparalleled. Also unparalleled? Its ability to make me bawl like a baby at the end, every single time. I also love the music in this movie.

Movie from my childhood I love, but can never, ever watch again due to its tragic ending? Phar Lap, tale of the great Australian race horse. That's all I want to say about that.

Two movies I watched dozens, if not hundreds of times during my childhood, despite their horrible acting, plot lines, and general ridiculousness. Danny, about a young girl who falls in love with a rich girl's cast-away pony, and Lightning, the White Stallion, about a French girl who, I don't know, somehow ends up riding a stolen horse in a big Grand Prix show (pay no attention to the fact that the horse in the show is a completely different color than Lightning, oy). There is blindness and stepfather issues and a goofy-but-sweet-boy problem. Also, Micky Rooney! Who has a gambling issue. Lolz, I know:)

So, those are my favorites. If you have some time to kill, look up the last two on You Tube-I'm pretty sure you can watch them both in their entirety. Poor horse-crazy kids today...what movies do they have? And what are your favorites?

10 comments:

  1. I have never seen the Julia Roberts movie or Phar Lap...I think I might make that a priority to do!

    I love how Mickey Rooney is in so many horse movies. I wonder why that is? Nevertheless, he was one of my favorite actors growing up because of it, never mind Brad Pitt...lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horse in the Grey Flannel Suit is my absolute favorite horse movie! But I am a sucker for horse movies and buy pretty much any movie with a horse on the cover even if they are totally unbelivable and filled with bad acting.
    I ususally have to throw in a "YEAH RIGHT!!" somewhere in the movie.
    my favorite cheesy tv show about horses was "Wildfire" so incrediably un beleivable but addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget Man From Snow river! .. Also, Phar Lap is my all time fav. Even tho it makes me cry. And Black Beauty is a keeper too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dreamer - Flicka - both cheesy, but sure to make me cry!

    Looking forward to seeing Water for Elephants. Read the book and loved it. Anyone seen it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! My Val is named for young Val Kilmer playing Doc Holliday in Tombstone... holy moly he was the hottest tubercular drunken gunslinger known to (wo)man ;)

    I'm going to put the long version of the story in the pages section of my blog... been meaning to for a while. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg..my fave was "Sylvester" so cheesy and they use about 20 different breeds for the same one horse but it was awesome and "International Velvet"
    I never saw Danny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen all except the last two you mention. I would also add Hidalgo and Lonesome Dove. I agree with Karen - Man of Snowy River is a must see also!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's sad how many of these I haven't seen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely have to say all of the above! And throw in Lord of the Rings as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you guys so much-you've given me lots of new movies tho throw in y Netflix que. I've always meant to watch the Man from Snowy River-some, like Horse In A Grey Flannel Suit I've never heard of, but now I have to check it out:)

    Also, HOW could I leave out LOTR and Shadowfax, Lord of All Horses??? I literally gasped when that gorgeous grey Andalusian came on screen:)

    I'll also have to check out Wildfire, and maybe rewatch some episodes of one of my favorite horse shows left out-Young Guns!!!!

    CF&S-I can't even tell you how cool I think it is that Val is named after Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday!! I've never met anyone who thinks he was smoking hot in that movie, TB and all:) Can't wait to read about it on your blog!

    I almost put in Black Beauty, but I'll be honest-there is so much horrible suffering in that movie it just makes me sad to think about, let alone watch. I have read the book a couple of times though.

    Thanks again everyone!

    ReplyDelete