Friday, May 27, 2011

Untitled

Not a great week around these parts.

Before the awfulness though, some pictures from our few days in the UP late last week.



Beautiful pair of swans on Lake Michigan at Ludington Park in Escanaba. That was a ridiculously gorgeous day.



View of Fortune Lake at Crystal Falls, where we spent a couple of days at my Mother in Law's cottage.



Kyle's aunt who lives just outside Escanaba is a vet, and is all kinds of awesome because she cleaned Lebowski's teeth and pulled a tooth of his that had broken off and had the nerve exposed. She rocks. After he had the procedure, we took him and Sam to Fortune Lake where he stayed in various states of wetness/dampness until we left. Dog needs a pair of gills since he loves the water so much more than land. HE had a magnificent time.



Sam had an amazing time as well, but he's a land-lubber, and never got more than his paws wet. His favorite part of the trip were the car rides-LOVE-slept like a baby for almost 7 hours straight each way.

I came back on Saturday and Kyle's stayed up there to continue remodeling his mom's cottage.

Then, yesterday, Kyle's brother Pauly passed away very unexpectedly. He collapsed at home early in the morning-no one knows exactly what happened yet. He struggled with a number of health issues but was so, so young. I hope he is at peace now, wherever he is.

So, I'm off to the UP again tomorrow for the service. My poor, sweet husband-I had to break the news to him, as he's in remote Crystal Falls with hit or miss cell phone service-it was one of the worst things I've ever had to do. I feel so helpless because I can't be there for him physically right now, but that's why I'm going tomorrow, and the service is Sunday. Please keep him and his family in your thoughts and prayers, if that's your thing-everyone is still reeling I think.

Anyway, yesterday after I heard the news and talked to Kyle, I took the day off of work and found myself driving to the barn through tears. If I could never ride Miles again, he would still be invaluable to me as my own personal sanity saver. Feeling horribly depressed, sad, panicked, anxious, bored, happy, elated? Going out to the barn to care for my favorite Thoroughbred is always, always the right thing to do.

He's such a sweet boy-as soon as he saw me he came racing down the hill, whinnying and kicking up mud. It's been cold and wet here, so I just brought him inside and fed him a warm beet pulp/alfalfa cube/chopped apple mash, his very favorite. I scraped, brushed, sprayed and wiped down every inch of him and made him shine. I talked to him and he allowed me to hold his giant, beautiful head and kiss his perfect little imp-y ears. I also took a few pictures because it's been far too long.



I'll never get tired of looking into his liquid brown eyes.



His perfect profile, as he surveys the pastures that hold his favorite horses at the barn-LaShore, Cody and Lady. He LOVES having his best girls right next door again, and I'm happy to say he's been nothing but a perfect gentleman about it.



The softest, velvety-est, most kissable schnoz ever there was, nose-goo, long hairy whiskers and all.



He was extra sweet and cute yesterday...he just knows when I'm down. "See mom, THIS is how you smilez!" Yes, bubs...something like that;) I'll get there soon.

I'll be back after this next trip. I haven't even told you all about our new, very own bitless bridle and how awesome it is!! Have a lovely Memorial day weekend everyone....love and enjoy the heck out of your loved ones and your horses.

8 comments:

  1. What an absolute tragedy. I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so so sorry to hear about your loss. Very sad. Thinking of you, Kyle and his family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg, I'm so so sorry. What a scary sudden loss of an important person. I'll be thinking of you and your husband's family. Drive safely.

    The animals make life so rich. Wet pups, thumping wagging tails, large horse heads reaching for a nuzzle. They make life so much easier to handle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry. I wish I had some wisdom, but even after losing my Dad two years ago, I've still *got nothing* when it comes to understanding this kind of loss.

    I agree with what Kristen said about how the love of animals (and of course, your wonderful husband) help make it better.

    So I hope that after the funeral, during the weeks and months down the road, that these loves help give you strength.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry. That's incredibly hard and awful. Best wishes for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for your loss. Horses seem to know how to help our hearts, especially them Thoroughbreds! Thoughts are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my condolences to you and the hubby. Can only hope that you're that soft velvety nose to him, as Miles is for you (or one of the pups is out there with him, since let's face it, their noses are pretty cute too).

    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just now saw this post. I'm so so sorry. I know what you're going through. Stay strong and I'll keep you, Kyle and your family in my thoughts and prayers. your gorgeous Miles will help!

    ReplyDelete