Saturday, February 11, 2012

Neglected Ponies

Yep, mine. This past week has by FAR been the busiest of my life, work wise. The mere 2 days I had where I didn't work until at least 7:30 I was too exhausted to make it to the barn. I went Friday night (for the first time since Sunday-UNHEARD of!) and lavished my kiddos in guilty treats and mashes. Of course, Michigan decided to dump a snowstorm on us and I white-knuckled it all the way home for an hour in a trip that should take 25 minutes, but it was worth it.

Miles is Miles. Alert, adorable, sound, underutilized. I did ride him last Sunday and he was a gem...that is, until a new boarder brought in his horse, a Saddlebred I believe, complete with chains on his front feet. Now, I try to keep an open mind, truly. The chains were LOUD though, and Mr. Saddlebred was UP. I did get about 15 minutes of under saddle work done before they came in, so I decided to hop off Miles as he was getting pretty agitated by the noise and the....energy, let's say, surrounding this horse. When the whips came out we exited the arena. In the interest of fairness, I will say I didn't see anything "untoward", but Miles wasn't having it, so we left. The last thing I need is for him to freak out about the indoor - especially because he was half asleep for our ride. I need to get off my butt and haul some jumps up to the indoor to liven things up for both of us for our rides this weekend.

Chamie is doing well. Our order for BL pellets just came today, so I'll be starting her on those. Unless I see a HUGE improvement in her comfort and movement (which is a lot to ask from an oral supplement, considering her age and issues), I'll be asking our vet about Adequan when he comes out to do Spring shots in April. I did a lot of research this week, and after the expensive loading dose, Adequan really isn't that much more expensive than an oral supplement to give her, especially if I can do the shots myself. We will see what the experts say.

Tomorrow, assuming all is normal, Miles will get a proper ride (ohhh, the snow is so pretty now, it's beckoning!) and Chamie will get a good walk in. Have a lovely weekend everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Chains and a whip? I can imagine the "energy" as you put it! Sounds like you made the right choice to keep things on a positive note. Hope you get out to ride in the snow--it's so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Calabar agrees with Miles. That sounds like bad juju but what do I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its AWFUL that saddlebreds are "sored" to give them that high stepping gait. Chains on a horse's legs for that purpose is cruelty. No wonder Miles didn't like the energy.

    ReplyDelete