Thursday, December 30, 2010

Leaping Lizards! Miles Style

OK, not really, but Miles and I did jump our first jumps together:) You know I had to post about that, however briefly.

Well, technically, there wasn't much jumping. We trotted a cross rail twice...I know, I know, we're crazy like that! Haha. I didn't get the canter depart after the jump I wanted, but the cross rail was teeny tiny, and my real goal was getting him straight to the obstacle (relatively successful), maintain forward motion, and get us both on the other side. Leaving the rails up without major rubs was an added bonus. Also, it helps to know he can jump properly, since I've seen him do it on the lunge; I thought he was trotting pretty forward, though he certainly has more engine than what I asked for. I was also trying to focus super hard on my position-weight in heels, good base of support, proper release, all that important stuff, since I haven't done this in awhile. All in all, I'll call it good, especially considering all the time off we've both had, and the fact that he felt a little...off on our flat work.

It's weird, because we were in the high 30's today, so I thought he would be feeling good. He lunged really well, but just felt odd from time to time under saddle. Not all the time, mind you, or even most, just the occasional wrong step here or refusal to bend there.

Ah well, we have 2 more days to sort everything out. We're also building our foundation for (very low) jumping, and in that I say yes, we did well. Thanks bubs!

11 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you and Miles! And since I'm at the same point (cross rails) I honestly know and feel that its a great accomplishment!! Yay Sarah & yay Miles!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I haven't jumped since I was a teen (many, many years ago). Sounds great. Good for you two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cross-rails count - in fact, so do ground rails! Congratulations, and have a great New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very exciting! Glad he was so good. Jumping is so much fun with a willing horse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, I know the feeling. When I first started my pony over fences, we jumped a cross rail made between two cavalettis. All in all, maybe 6 inches? So naturally you jump it like a three foot oxer. However, now he barely bothers with cavalettis. Funny how perspectives change with time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really wish sometimes I knew more about riding so Bar and I had more options. On the other hand, I learn more from people like you, so it's all good.

    I didn't realize Bar and Miles are the same age!

    Happy New Year to you both, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love jumping. I use to do it all the time when I was little and had 0 fear. Nada.

    Boo, adulthood. BOO!!

    I jumped Denali once time and it was SO FUN!! Knowing she'd never hold up to it I stopped.

    Boo broken horse, BOO!! ;-)

    So glad you had a happy holiday and are enjoying pony time!!!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds exciting! I can't wait for spring so I can start free jumping my mare.

    I hope there's nothing going on with Miles being off. It really stinks having a lame horse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. awww jumping YEA!!!!! When I first rode Laz, before I even 100% owned him, I jumped him a couple times and he was a rockstar! Probably b/c he was tired, hungry and sore he just lept over the tiny x , lol.
    Go MILES!! How fun and I can't wait for jumping pics!
    btw..love that balance ball chair! How smart!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete