Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Whirlwind

That's what the last 2 weeks have been. There has been limited available brain space for blogging pursuits, unfortunately, and I'm behind on reading my favorites. Hey? How is everyone?

I hope everyone had a wonderful Holiday. We took a trip up to Michigan's Upper Peninsula for a few days to visit Kyle's family, and as soon as we came back down-state it was back to work. Fortunately, I have one more day and then I'm off again for 3 glorious days, in which we have no plans and I'm keeping it that way, so help me God. Just me and my husband and our little furry family, with lots and lots of pony time. Bliss.

Was Santa good to you and your ponies? He was very good to Miles and me. One of my favorite gifts was a balance ball chair, with the theory being that I can strengthen my core (abs and back) during some of those 8 hours I spend on my tush at work. I can't wait to try it!


Miles also got himself this Myler bit, which I hope he will like. Plenty of room for that fleshy tongue of his, and it's gotten good reviews from folks with OTTBs and other horses who have bitting issues. I'm not going to try it right away, but I'm super interested to see how he likes it, especially after we've gone for months in a hackamore. Worst case scenario is that he hates it and we sell it-everyone wants Myler bits on Ebay, thank goodness.

Finally, Miles got these:


WhooHooo! I'm quite geeked. OK, it's just one set (2 blocks) but it's a start. Yesterday, for the first time, I lunged him over a cross rail. He was a superstar, and once going forward he had no problem making the effort to actually jump and canter away. I think he surprised himself the first time-he shook his head and practically sashayed away from the jump. Most importantly, he was happy and forward and brave, never wanting to look, stop or swerve. He's just so game. Finally, he even left all the poles up, suddenly turning into Mr. Careful.

I really wanted to ride, but I had so much to do yesterday (including mucking out a very neglected-by me-outdoor shed, blech) and Miles had many days off while we were gone. Still, it beat the hell out of a normal lunge or groundwork session, that's for sure. I can't wait to pop over a few obstacles in the saddle this weekend, hopefully *crosses fingers*.

I'm very horrible in my No-Horsey-Holiday-Picture-Taking-Let-Alone-Posting; another thing I hope to remedy this weekend as we look forward to 2011. 2010 kinda sucked the big one, in a myriad of ways I don't mind saying. Still, it was a real breakthrough year for my Super Steed and me. I think we built a great foundation for our partnership, and I can't wait to see where we go from here.

7 comments:

  1. Go Sarah and Miles!! The first time I lunged Cody over a crossrail, I'm so glad I was not on her back!! Because she landed, cantered a stride, then went rodeo bronc for about 3/4 of the circle! And let me tell you, Cody can BUCK when she goes rodeo! lol! She was fine after that, but I'm definitely glad I was not up there over the first one! lol!

    Yeah, I agree, other than getting married, 2010 has sucked big time. And for a lot of people. I see Ruthie at Rowe Stables lost Bianca yesterday. *sigh* Be gone with you 2010, I'm ready for 2011 and a do over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had very good luck with that bit, although I tend to not use the hooks - I've even found one that has no hooks at all, although that's hard to find. Like all the presents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ball chair is something I should look into. I sit soooo much now that I've taken on office duties at work. I'd love to tone up a bit while I'm stuck at my desk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm intrigued by the chair. Interesting.

    Here's to a better 2011 for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That balance ball chair is awesome. I've never seen anything like it. I know people who simply use the balls themselves as office chairs, but I can't imagine how comfortable that would be all day!

    I would love a Myler bit too, but I need a horse first - they seem like great bits!

    Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally want the balance ball chair.
    Sedentary job is good and bad sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The balance ball chair rocks! I got one a while back to use in my studio and I love it. No more sore back and better circulation all around. Plus you can remove the ball for exercising :)

    That bit looks interesting... please let us know how it works for you and Miles.

    Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete